Backsplashes too often don’t make it to the top of the priority list when renovating their kitchens. Sometimes they are an afterthought. The backsplash serves both a functional and aesthetic purpose. They enable homeowners to protect walls from grease, water and foodstuffs while providing opportunities to make a unique design statement.
Some materials can be better suited for backsplashes than others, but a homeowner’s selection often depends on style preferences, with ease of maintenance coming in a close second. Here are a couple examples of some great backsplash material choices:
Tile (Porcelain, Ceramic or Glass)
- Easy to clean
- Resists heat, water and staining
- Selections – Endless options, a wide range of shapes, colors, and patterns
- Creativity– Homeowners have the ability to put their own creative stamp on their room
- Selections – both Pro and Con here – The sheer number of selections can be overwhelming to some.
- Grout – Though a light-colored grout may look best with a tile choice, it can be difficult to keep clean. Dark colored grout is definitely worth keeping in mind. Sealing the grout or more costly epoxy grout is a stain resistant option.
Stone (Granite, Engineered Stone, Etc.)
- Comes in slab form or tile
- Can be a continuation of the countertop. Cut to extend the natural pattern of the stone top up through the backsplash, which can be the normal 18″ between upper and lower cabinets or to the ceiling behind a stone.
- Stain and scratch resistant (If granite is sealed)
- No grout joints if a slab is chosen
- Price – can be costly. The more exotic the granite, the more the cost goes up.
- Must be sealed
Now, tile and stone are not your only backsplash options. There are many more materials that can contribute to making the kitchen a focal point of the home, but these two options can definitely make a splash!
How about mixing the two? Make a bold statement of a large print granite extending up to the ceiling behind the stove while using a calmer subway tile for the rest of the kitchen.
What backsplash material would enhance the look, feel and functionality of your new kitchen? Give us a call at (574) 533 – 0597 to discuss or make an appointment to visit us at 2423 Peddlers Village Rd
Goshen, IN 46528.